Friday, April 23, 2010

Excuse my nerdiness

Before you even begin to read this, I want to make a disclaimer: I am a nerd, a total nerd! I love school, I love to read, love research, and honestly and thankfully, learning comes easy to me. So in saying that, I understand my perspective on the topic I am about to discuss might be different from many! So bear with me if your opinion is different and tell me all about it in your comments!

This last year of undergraduate school has made me think a lot. Mostly, I think about my future career and what my undergraduate education has done to contribute to this. As I reflect back, I remember the days of researching who the easy professors were and which classes were the easiest. If you wait until class sign ups come around, then you will see all of the students asking each other these same questions. This year, my perspective on this changed completely. For some reason I became annoyed at hearing fellow classmates grumble about difficult classes. It is like something finally clicked in my brain! I realized that one day I am going to have other people’s lives in my hands, which is a huge responsibility! If I desire to be a professional one day then what is an easy education going to do for me? It might make the classes easier and decrease my stress level for the time being, but what about my future? Let’s be honest here, you do not expect to obtain a high level of education when you go for the easy classes. It is basically quick input into your brain until you can flush it all out after the test.

I just do not get this anymore and I wish someone would have told me earlier. Now I am not advocating for taking the hardest professors and class load every semester. I just recommend that you do not skimp out on taking classes that will challenge you-especially in your area of interest. The real world is not going to be easy and as you become a professional, people set standards and expectations and do not allow for excuses-the responsibility falls on you.


So my advice is do not take the easy track. You will either never remember what you learned or totally be unprepared for your future. I have not even mentioned the fact that you or someone is paying for this education you are receiving! When you add that in to the equation, it is a different ball game. I know I would never buy a 200 piece puzzle for $500. That is a lot of money being wasted on something that is way too easy. Do not be afraid to be challenged—you will be amazed at your potential. The result will be gratifying knowing that you tried your hardest, pushed yourself, and truly earned that degree.


I will earn that degree on May 8th at 10:00! In August, I will be starting graduate school at the University of South Carolina to earn my Masters in Social Work. I am so thankful to have learned this lesson before moving on to the next level of schooling. I know it is going to be hard, but I cannot wait!

Thank you to Dr. Sinisi, Dr. Walker, Dr. Sharpe, Dr. Adkinson, Dr. Naylor, Dr. Bower, Dr. Miller, and Professor Dillon for challenging me and making me think--I appreciate it now more than ever. Thank you for setting high expectations and encouraging students to perform at higher standards. You guys are awesome!

2 comments:

  1. I promise my blogs will be shorter from now on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you girly. And your right why settle for less? THis was very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes me smile real big :)