Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lend me your design eye!

Lately I have been tinkering with the idea of re-doing or vamping up some rooms in our house.
When we first bought the house, we painted the living room, kitchen, and bedroom CRAZY colors! They were bright blue, bright yellow, and bright red. Since then, we have toned all of these rooms down.

I am quite happy with my kitchen. All I need to find is a table cloth or sew some place mats. Eventually we want to re-do the cabinets, counters, and floors...eventually! My living room is okay. It could definitely use some work but I am just not quite sure what to do! I just keep sewing random throw pillows and sticking with that!

The room I am focusing on now is my bedroom. Here it is in all its glory-sorry the pic isn't so great!



It never really came together from the beginning and I am just kind of over it. I want to create a more peaceful resting place-and one that I will want to keep clean!

I am thinking about keeping the color theme for now: neutrals, reds, oranges (it's hard to see all of the accessories in this pic). I just have to get rid of that wall color. I figured if I go more neutral with the walls, then I can always change the accessories in case I tire of the accent colors. Here are some pictures of what I am thinking about doing for colors:

1.

2.



I am leaning more towards number one because it feels more light and fresh to me. Our bedroom does not have as much natural light as number two so I am afraid it will be too dark. James said the first has a little too much grey in it. Either way, I was thinking a medium shade of brown/taupe.


We will also be putting a lot more art on the walls-in the form of photos of course! My hubby often comes in handy :) I am hoping to get rid of some of the furniture since we have so many different grains of wood in there!

This will sound silly, but I go back and forth about decorating my house because: 1. It is temporary and I don't want to be materialistic or discontent. 2. It's just so easy to get used to seeing what's around you. To address these, I will say that finishing my kitchen and craft room has made me feel good about our home. Also, I know I will do it on a budget and make many of the accessories. I think it is worth it since I am here every day!

What do you think? Do you have any advice you can offer? Also, does paint ever go on sale?! Ha!

1 comment:

  1. I love redoing my home, too! But I generally stick with rearranging things, painting a bathroom with left-over paint from the rest of the house, and getting accessories we can take with us when we move! :) Good luck with your bedroom! It looks cute already, but it seems like there is always a little somethin somethin that can get better ;)

    I have heard, though, that red isn't a good color for a bedroom bc it can cause anger and hunger...so not good for a kitchen either :) haha But, if you really love having red in there, maybe making the rest of the room more neutral or calming colors could make a few red accents really pop!!

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes me smile real big :)