Friday, April 1, 2011

For all the things I put you through...

My field placement this year is at Big Brothers Big Sisters. As I was getting an update from one of the parents, she explained that her daughter (the Little) is no longer so little. As the parent explained, her pre-teen hormones have caught up and she is a little crazy, moody, having a hard time adjusting. Not only that, but she is starting to have sleepovers and spending time with her friends on the weekends.

This made me feel anxious! One day I will be a parent and have to deal with this moodiness- not to mention all of the other stages leading up to this (fighting to sleep through the night, potty training, first day of school, etc). I feel like this is a lot of emotions to endure: exhaustion from sleepless nights, anxiety of if you have done enough as a parent, and the joy and sadness of watching your child grow up. I would say I just got a good dose of birth control!

This makes me think "my poor mama"! Thank you mom, for putting up with my moods, because we know I had plenty of them. And for enduring that one boyfriend we know everyone disliked. Thanks for staying up with me all night when I had an earache in elementary school and ruptured my ear drum in high school. The comfort of your presence and fingers brushing through my hair made the pain that much more bearable.

I imagine that is how parents feel. You might go through exhaustion, disappointment, and pain but it is the sweet memories that make it worth it. Memories that we both will hold in our hearts of each other. I am sorry for all the things I put you through, but I know it has helped us grow closer today. I hope you know how much I love and appreciate you.

I am sure you will have a good laugh when I have a moody teenager one day.
Here are a few pictures of my sweet mama:





1 comment:

  1. My mom wanted me to add this comment:
    "Okay so I keep trying to post a response to my daughters beautiful letter so im just gonna put it out there for everyon to read! Rachel you have been worth every worry that has touched my heart. Your beautiful, smart, funny, and crazzzy! I... am truly blessed to have been chosen to bring you into this world. Thank you for putting up with a out there mom who sometimes should just carry an extra foot around for her mouth lol . One of the best thing I see for you now is when one of your littles looks up to you and says "i want to be just like you when I grow up" How humbling and blessed you are to be able to touch so many lives as you've touched mine. I love you my sweet daughter God Bless you and all you do. Thank you... mom"

    ReplyDelete

Reading your comments makes me smile real big :)